Monday, March 13, 2006

Thought I'd take a picture of the office plants, we walked into a very fragrant room this morning as the hyacinths have had a busy weekend growing like little triffids.

I seem to be forever installing software at the moment. Skype and something called Pentaho this morning. If it isn't downloads then it is ordering more stuff from Amazon. I even found a book that may just interest me in programming...'Learn to Program' by Chris Pine. Apparently the book teaches you do program by getting you to do useful things like sort out your digital photo collection or get your webpage to send you emails. I can just about cope with that kind of thing, everyone I've worked with so far tends to stare at pages of minute text muttering about triggers and joins, and I nod and kind of think I might understand a bit of what they are saying. I never really got over the computer programming course that I did at university. So long ago that we used a VAX mainframe computer (not a model of vacuum cleaner, although today's vacuum cleaners probably have the same IT capability as the mainframe computer had in 1986). Anyway I was mystified by DOLOOPS and other jargon stuff, it all started to get very mathematical and I decided to blank out anything technical from then on!

Still here I am working in IT. Just goes to show what can happen if you don't make any kind of conscious career choices.

No comments: