Wednesday, September 27, 2006

justbloggin

The harvest festival season approaches. As with most things there is always more than one, this is a new feature of my life brought about by children, one event is never enough. There is the school harvest festival, then the church harvest festival. As the school is a church school the two are not that different.

One has a play involved, so there are words to learn, as well as a donation to produce. The other requires a donation of some kind and a few more well known hymns.

As with all things charitable it is hard to know what to give. Whilst veg is lovely stuff today's recipient of the harvest vegetables might not manage to eat them before they go off.

The nicecest part of the school version seems to me to be the fact that a couple of children are dispatched to the nominated people to deliver parcels and maybe have a bit of a chat.

Personally I rather like the songs, 'we plough the fields and scatter' as it reminds me of being the small child at the assembly with the vegetables. I don't really feel like it was that long ago that I was sitting cross legged in assemblies myself.

But I have started to notice that where I used to get quite sentimental at school services and similar child centric productions I've now started to observe the clock and wonder when the tea and biscuits will be served.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh the clock watching gets only worse as they get older and concerts/public speaking competitinos etc get longer and more tedious. I am no so vain as to think that anyone other than me might want to listen to my children play/sing/decant .... so why on earth should I want to listen to anyone elses for hour...after hour ....after hour !!

Church Harvest festival is a wonderful kafkaeque moment in Brancepeth where the children take control of the madhouse - I love Harvest Festival! This year I will be on the other side of the Pre-Prep harvest assembly and already have 200 stickers and 200 envelopes - the two requiring combination before next week :( And that is before I even start to get involved in the cathedral politics :LOL: !